Happy New Year everyone! I love the fresh start that a new year promises. As many of you know, I love to try new things, change it up, and begin something new. It probably comes from moving around every few years as a child. I was constantly forced to start over. Of course it is never easy and I tend to take on a few of these types of projects at once, but I think that is part of my nature. This past year I went back to school for health coaching, started this blog, began building the foundations of a possible future business of my own and got a new job. I was pretty busy!
Despite all of these positive things, there were some down times as well, which I think is par for the course in the path of life. Life isn’t always going to be all fun and games 100% of the time. The downs can be significant, life defining even. And what matters is how you handle them. I try to learn from them and recognize that they happen for a reason and will shape me into the person that I am meant to be. It’s not an easy perspective to take while you are in the thick of things, but it’s an important one. But enough looking back… Onward and upward!
I have never really been one for resolutions. Ever since I had a resolution to learn the complete dance to Thriller (which definitely did not happen, though I do know parts of it…), I have decided that resolutions are just not for me. They seem too clear-cut and final, inflexible and unchanging, only leading to some future disappointment for my inability to “follow through.” So this year I decided to make a list of focus points for 2015. Advice or gentle reminders that I’d like to try to keep in mind, if you will.
- Have compassion for myself in addition to others. Don't try to be or look like someone you aren't supposed to be.
- Appreciate my body and how it supports me every day.
- Pay attention to the signs my body is giving me. When it is tired, rest, and when it wants to dance, shake your booty.
- Practice self-care, every day.
- You don’t have to be perfect to be happy, successful and content. You just have to work hard and try your best.
- Never let anyone make you feel like you are not good enough.
- Every day is a new day, a new opportunity.
- Who cares what others think. Be your true self. Anyone who is not okay with that is not worth your time.
- You will never get anywhere comparing yourself to others and living a life that isn’t in line with who you are.
- Embrace new opportunities and don’t let fear get in the way of your dreams.
- Anger and negativity create bad energy. Try to understand the reason for your feelings and find a peaceful resolution.
- Regret is a waste of time. You can’t relive the past so get over it and move on.
I always start each year with a vengeance, excited for new possibilities. Usually this excitement fades as I inevitably fall into my old routine. But this year I am going to try to approach things differently. This year I have a milestone birthday, which is really reminding me that life is short and should be lived to the fullest. So let’s bring on the fun and adventure. Carpe diem folks.
~Peace, love and new beginnings~